Sunday, February 2, 2020

Downsizing and Selling My House


Downsizing and Selling My House

I finally closed on my house sale on Friday, January 24, 2020, and the proceeds were wired to my bank.  I sold the house for less than I would have liked, and it took nearly 7 months, somewhat longer that I originally expected.

After talking about it for several years, I finally decided to downsize in early 2019, sell my house and move to an active senior community.  I had been living in my house for 37 years, since 1982, through divorce, eventual remarriage and a house fire in 2001.  I had been living alone in the pretty large house since 2007, when my wife Gisela died.  It really was a waste of space on a property that had increased in value through the years.  The real estate market in Dallas seemed to be quite active at the time, houses like mine were selling for upwards of $400k, and being sold within a month.  Not so when I listed my house.  Literally nothing in my competitive neighborhood was hardly selling at all.  I sat on the house and paid nominal bills on it for seven months.

Like many my age and status in life, I had accumulated an 8-room house full of furniture and other belongings.  This included a rather extensive firearms and loading collection from my sport of high-power accuracy rifle shooting, a pickup truck, a garage and shed full of tools, a 10-foot satellite antenna, and various and sundry artifacts that I had collected from domestic and foreign travel through the years  I also suspected that the house had developed slab and possibly other integrity issues since the last time that this had been addressed in the mid 1980’s.  The house also required relatively minor indoor and outside repairs and paint.  Because of all of the above issues, I thought that downsizing, selling the house and moving out was not a trivial matter.

I started the process in late February of 2019 by talking to the management of Lakeview, a senior community in Carrollton, Texas, where several church friends already lived.  Lakeview was my original target senior community.  From them I obtained references for a real estate broker, Tricia Spurrier of Keller Williams Agency, and a downsizer, Kim Lawrence of Seasoned Life Transitions, her own company.  I also started accumulating references for slab work and for other relatively minor maintenance that the house required.

I first met with Tricia Spurrier in February of 2019 to discuss specific things that I needed to do to get the house ready for sale, listing the house and timing.  We agreed to early summer as a target date for selling the house since that was an advantageous time for family buyers.  I also met with Kim Lawrence about downsizing and holding an estate sale, and worked out some preliminaries.  I started making arrangements for any slab work and other repairs necessary, and gave some thought to selling my firearms and other equipment.  I started acting as a project manager again, as I had when we reconstructed the house after the house fire in 2001.

Integrity Foundation of Fort Worth tested and levelled the slab in March, only about an average of 1” at a total cost, of $4050, including later testing.  The testing showed that the water lines passed the required Dallas City tests, but the sewer lines did not.  This necessitated a major revamp of the sewer lines.  After several competitive bids, I chose C & C Slab of Dallas to do this work.  Their “tunnel rats” tunneled under the house from both ends and completely replaced the sewer system, at a cost of close to $20,000.  They finished this work in late April, taking a full month, after being interrupted several times by major rainstorms.  This constituted the major expenditure in getting the property ready for sale.

In the meantime, I got a contractor friend of mine Billy Fritcher, to do some ceiling and Pergo floor repairs, some interior painting, some external cosmetic work on the house and some fence repair.  Billy also removed and scrapped the 10 ft satellite dish in my back yard.  Billy only charged me less than $1000 for all of this work.

Kim Lawrence and I started on the downsizing effort at about the same time – late April or early May.  I thought that this would be daunting, because I had an awful lot of “stuff”, but Kim had “been there and done that” before and assured me that it need not be that daunting.  Kim and I worked for the good part of a month sorting, choosing and packing.  Kim was invaluable in this downsizing effort.  Her experience figured heavily in what I was to take with me, what was for the estate sale, and what needed to be donated or disposed of.  This was a pretty traumatic time for me, because I had to get off my ass and act, rather than just talking and planning.
I eventually also had to pay to haul off perfectly good “stuff” just to get rid of the volume.

Further discussions with the Riverview Senior Community staff and several visits to the facility turned my opinion away from them, in spite of the fact that several of my church friends were living there.  Their price for what I considered a too small two-bedroom apartment was nearly $4000 per month with a rather inflexible meal plan.  They stressed a pre-payment to defray monthly costs, and they seemed inflexible in other ways.  They also seemed to have considerable staff turnover.  Their Executive Director and their Head Chef changed as I was negotiating with them.  They also had a main elevator problem, and seemed not to honor the Second Amendment.

With Kim Lawrence’s help, I looked at several other senior retirement communities.  Everleigh was a beautiful brand-new facility at Forest and Inwood, just south of St Marks Preparatory School.  It was upscale, expensive and was just opening.  Rooms were a little small, and the place was so modern, that my regular old furniture would be out of place.  Meadowstone Place, which I finally chose, was an older community, but it was spacious, the staff was quite professional, and they offered over one month rent and other amenities as a signing bonus.  I actually had access to the new apartment at 10308 Stone Canyon Road, Apt 201s on May 24, and I prepared to setup TV, phone and internet service in the new place.

My old Caltex friend, John Penzenik, worked for Cabela’s Gun Library in the past, and gave me a contact there to sell off my firearms and equipment.  After several weeks of telephone tag, I finally got in touch with Curt Junker, Cabela’s Regional Acquisition Manager.  To make a long story short, Curt gave me a fair price for most of my guns.  We held several higher priced guns back as inducement for the estate sale, and we also sold those at decent prices.  I kept back a little Belgian Browning in .380, and a Glock 17 in 9 mm.  I cleared about $10k on the guns that I estimated were worth about $15k retail.

I committed to move from the house at 3247 to Meadowstone Place on June 10, and Kim and I worked to prepare for that target date.  On Sunday, June 9, there was a major wind storm that knocked out power both at 3247 Whitehall, and Meadowstone Place.  A tree fell on the landing outside of my new apartment, and it was touch and go whether I could actually move in on June 10.  I had scheduled John Fortunato, the mover for that date.  Fortunately, the Meadowstone maintenance cleared the tree limb and we proceeded as scheduled.  I paid John Fortunato $3700 for moving and setting up my “stuff” at 10308.  Kim also was invaluable in this effort.

I sold my 1992 Toyota pickup for $3500 by listing it on Facebook after having my mechanic, Reuben, go through it and prepare it for sale.  I literally had a bidding war going for the truck, and I sold it for $500 more than I really needed to get out of it.

Kim Lawrence held the estate sale the following weekend and we cleared about $8500, with about $3000 as my portion, plus another $9000 from sales of the guns.  Kim then continued to sell off some of the items that were left over the next several months until most items were gone.  I cleared another roughly $500 from these sales.

Working with Tricia Spurrier of Keller-Williams, we listed the house in mid-June for $365,000, which was considered competitive at the time.  Earlier in the year houses in this area were turning over fairly rapidly, but it seems that as soon as we listed the house, the competitive market dried up, and no one was selling.  We had our share of viewings and a few low-ball offers, but other than that I continued to pay for insurance and minimal utilities on the house.  We lowered our listing, first to $360,000, and then to $350,000, but did not elicit any realistic offers.  Comments were that the house was not modern enough for the several interested buyers.

I went to Vienna and the Balkans in September, and to Massachusetts in December, all the while keeping an eye on the house sale.  It almost sold while I was in Massachusetts at around $309,000, but the buyer backed out at the last minute.  We got an offer from a developer of $281,000 that they later raised to $290,000.  I decided to accept this offer, because this was a cash deal, as is, with no option period and with no 3% buyer’s commission.  It’s as if it was a conventional sale at about $310,000.

After clearing up a title issue that still showed joint ownership of the house with my deceased wife Gisela, the closing took 15 minutes at my place, and the money was wired into my account the same day.  The buyer even let me leave my junk remnants in the garage and house.  Also there was a buyer’s “construction set-aside” of $59,300, which apparently the buyer is going to use to completely modernize the house before “flipping” it, thereby preserving the integrity of the neighborhood.

To put a period on it, I met with my Tom Adcock, my Financial Planner for lunch On January 28th.  I decided to take advantage of the “Trump Bump”, and invest in roughly 50% equities and 50% bond based ETF’s.  The equities are to be a mixture of mutual funds and ETF’s under Tom’s supervision.  I also decide to buy $10k of Boeing stock, which is a bargain right now.  Tom transferred the funds into my LPL account using his laptop while we were sitting at lunch.

Ray Gruszecki
January 28, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment